Mennonit, Der (Periodical)
Der Mennonit, a 16-page 9 x 12 inch illustrated Mennonite monthly journal, was established by the Mennonite Central Committee in 1948, to serve first of all the Mennonite refugees from Russia, the Danzig area, and Poland, who were scattered widely over Germany (and Denmark), South America, and Canada, but also to serve all German-speaking Mennonites, especially in Europe. It was to serve as a bond of union and fellowship across international boundaries and also to stimulate the spiritual life of the churches, to strengthen the sense of the historic Mennonite heritage and to promote its modern revival and application, and to promote interest, conviction, and activity in the fields of missions, evangelism, Christian education, and Christian service.
The first editors were Harold S. Bender, Cornelius F. Klassen, and Peter J. Dyck, all MCC workers stationed in Europe, assisted by other MCC workers and by a widely representative editorial council from all Mennonite countries around the world. The managing editors have been H. S. Bender 1948-1951, Peter J. Dyck 1951-1952, C. F. Klassen with Cornelius Wall 1952-1954, and Gerhard Hein 1954-1965. Beginning with January 1957 the Mennonit was taken over from the MCC by a publication commission composed of representatives of the German-speaking European conferences (German Vereinigung, Swiss Conference, Alsatian Conference) and the MCC. At first issued as a bimonthly, the journal became a monthly with the issue of July 1950.
|Author(s)||Harold S Bender|
Cite This Article
Bender, Harold S. "Mennonit, Der (Periodical)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 10 Aug 2020. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mennonit,_Der_(Periodical)&oldid=134661.
Bender, Harold S. (1957). Mennonit, Der (Periodical). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 10 August 2020, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mennonit,_Der_(Periodical)&oldid=134661.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 586. All rights reserved.
©1996-2020 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.