Lancaster Mennonite School (Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA)
Lancaster Mennonite School (Mennonite Church USA) began as a secondary school opened in September 1942 by the Lancaster Mennonite Conference and operated by a board of directors elected by that body. It is located on the Lincoln Highway (Route 30), east of Lancaster, Pennsylvania. The buildings, built for use as a mill and farm, and the grounds had been used earlier by the Yeates School, which was a boys' preparatory school operated by the Episcopal Church. The property included about 88 acres of land, about half of which was under cultivation in the 1950s, the rest in pasture, woods, and stream. A strong spring supplied the water. There was in the 1950s a large barn for the farm, in addition to seven buildings used for school activities.
Grades nine to twelve were offered in college preparatory, commercial, home economics, and Bible curricula. A two-year Bible course was offered for those who did not want or need the four-year course and were interested in taking Bible courses until they could legally leave school. A six-week winter Bible school offered short courses in Bible on the school campus. The school emphasized Christian service, missionary interests, and evangelism. The school maintained high scholastic standards to assure equality with comparable public high schools and admission to colleges and professions. Its monthly student publication was called The Mill Stream.
In addition to the local young people who came as day students there were also some from such areas as Delaware, Maryland, Ohio, and New York, also a few foreign students and missionaries' children. Though the school was Mennonite in emphasis and attendance, pupils of all denominations were welcome and each year there were some students from other denominational groups.
Principals through the mid-1950s were J. Paul Graybill (1942-1954) and Amos W. Weaver (1954- ). Noah Good was dean from the beginning. The enrollment in 1956-57 was 385.
Website: Lancaster Mennonite School
Cite This Article
Good, Noah. "Lancaster Mennonite School (Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 27 Oct 2021. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Lancaster_Mennonite_School_(Lancaster,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=114381.
Good, Noah. (1957). Lancaster Mennonite School (Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 27 October 2021, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Lancaster_Mennonite_School_(Lancaster,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=114381.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 279. All rights reserved.
©1996-2021 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.