Cloverdale Church of God in Christ Mennonite (Creswell, Oregon, USA)

From GAMEO
Jump to navigation Jump to search

The first families of the Church of God in Christ, Mennonite to move to Creswell, Oregon, USA, were Ben Voth and his family. They moved in July 1945 for health reasons. In October 1945, Jacob G. Loewen and his family moved to the area to work in mission efforts and located in a little community called Cloverdale. When several more families arrived, a congregation started. At first, they worshiped in the home of J. G. Loewen; however, with the increase in membership, they needed more room and rented the Cloverdale community building, which was also used for community activities during the week. J. G. Loewen was the church leader, and Jake H. Loewen from Glenn, California, was the nonresident pastor. They often had visitors from the I-W Unit in Roseburg, Oregon.

Most of the congregation's men worked in the lumber industry, felling trees, driving trucks, hauling logs to the sawmills, and filling other jobs such as sawmill positions.

Minister Harry Wenger and his family spent some time living on the J. G. Loewen's yard in a small trailer house, assisting in the mission effort with the Mennonite groups at Harrisburg and Albany. Later the congregation rented a building in Eugene for holding evangelistic meetings, conducted by Ministers Harry Wenger and Edward Jantz.

By 1956 the membership was 19, and Sunday school enrollment was 35. By 1957 the membership was down to 11 members. Since several families had moved to other congregations, the ministers advised the rest to move away. On 1 June 1958, there was a closing service at the Cloverdale community church.

Bibliography

Histories of the congregations. 3rd. ed. Moundridge, Kansas: Gospel Publishers, 1999: 463-465.

Original Mennonite Encyclopedia Article

By Jacob G. Loewen. Copied by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 630. All rights reserved.

Cloverdale Church of God in Christ Mennonite Church, located north of Creswell, Lane County, Oregon, was organized in 1945. In 1950 the church, with a membership of 13, held Sunday-school and worship services every Sunday morning. Jacob G. Loewen was in charge of the services.


Author(s) Samuel J Steiner
Date Published March 2021

Cite This Article

MLA style

Steiner, Samuel J. "Cloverdale Church of God in Christ Mennonite (Creswell, Oregon, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. March 2021. Web. 27 Feb 2024. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Cloverdale_Church_of_God_in_Christ_Mennonite_(Creswell,_Oregon,_USA)&oldid=170248.

APA style

Steiner, Samuel J. (March 2021). Cloverdale Church of God in Christ Mennonite (Creswell, Oregon, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 27 February 2024, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Cloverdale_Church_of_God_in_Christ_Mennonite_(Creswell,_Oregon,_USA)&oldid=170248.




©1996-2024 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved. [[Category:Extinct Congregations