Glenn Church of God in Christ Mennonite Church (Glenn, California, USA)

From GAMEO
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Glenn Church of God in Christ, Mennonite,
2018 Google Maps photo

The Glenn Church of God in Christ, Mennonite congregation in Glenn, California, USA was formally established in 1954. The congregation started as families from the Winton, California area began moving to Glenn in 1950. The Ben Giesbrecht family was the first to move.

Glenn is located in the northern part of the fertile Sacramento Valley. Most families in the emerging congregation worked in irrigated farming, including almond and walnut orchards, rice, grain, and edible beans. Others engaged in trucking, carpentry, and beekeeping.

Initially, the small group met in homes for Sunday school, with occasional visits from pastors. In 1953 the emerging congregation built a small white church with a seating capacity of 75. Minister Jake H. Loewen was the first local minister, moving with his family to Glenn in December 1954.

A second church was built on the site in 1963; the original building was sold and removed. Additional classrooms were added in 1969 and again in 1979. In 1988/89, a new church was built, and the former building was renovated into a fellowship hall.

In 2020 the congregation was part of the Church of God in Christ, Mennonite. The ministers were Logan Giesbrecht and Roland Loewen.

Bibliography

Church of God in Christ, Mennonite. Yearbook (2001-2020).

Histories of the congregations. 3rd. ed. Moundridge, Kansas: Gospel Publishers, 1999: 190-194.

Additional Information

Address: 2026 Hwy 45, Glenn, California 95943

Phone: 530-934-5743

Website:

Denominational Affiliations:

Church of God in Christ, Mennonite

Ordained Pastors at the Glenn Church of God in Christ, Mennonite Church

Name Years
of Service
Jake H. Loewen 1954-?
Dick C. Loewen (1921-1997) 1956-1997
Don Bates 1970-?
Leslie Amoth 1975-2016
Robert Koehn 1979-2006
Roland Loewen 1989-present
David Spence 1993-2017
Logan Giesbrecht 2006-present

Membership at Glenn Church of God in Christ, Mennonite Church

Year Membership
1958 88
2000 239
2010 160
2020 154

Original Mennonite Encyclopedia Article

By Melvin Gingerich. Copied by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 1087. All rights reserved.

Glenn (California) Church of God in Christ Mennonite Church is located 10 miles (16 km.) east and 1 mile (1.6 km.) north of Willows. In 1958 it had 88 members, served by the ministers Jake H. Loewen and Dick C. Loewen. It was first listed in the Yearbook of 1953.


Author(s) Samuel J Steiner
Date Published December 2020

Cite This Article

MLA style

Steiner, Samuel J. "Glenn Church of God in Christ Mennonite Church (Glenn, California, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. December 2020. Web. 23 Sep 2021. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Glenn_Church_of_God_in_Christ_Mennonite_Church_(Glenn,_California,_USA)&oldid=169557.

APA style

Steiner, Samuel J. (December 2020). Glenn Church of God in Christ Mennonite Church (Glenn, California, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 September 2021, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Glenn_Church_of_God_in_Christ_Mennonite_Church_(Glenn,_California,_USA)&oldid=169557.




©1996-2021 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.