Klein Schardau (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)
Klein Schardau (also known as Skaradowo, Szkaradowo, Pieglowska Wieś, Klein Szerdauen, Klein Szardauen, and Klein Szardau; now known as Szkaradowo Małe; coordinates: 53.867813, 18.90275 [53° 52′ 04″ N, 18° 54′ 09″ E]; population in 1905, 90) is located approximately 15 kilometers (9 miles) north of Kwidzyn (Marienwerder), 21 km. (13 miles) south-west of Malbork (Marienburg), and 26 km. (16 miles) south-east of Tczew (Dirschau). It is located to the east of Rudniki (Rudnerweide).
The hamlet of Klein Schardau was already known in the 17th century. In 1756, the Starost of Sztum, Tekla Bielińska, leased land to Mennonites Peter Tgahrt, Heinrich Gertz, and David Penner for 30 years. The First Partition of Poland in 1772 resulted in the creation of a new province on 31 January 1773, called West Prussia, in which the village was located. Klein Schardau was situated in the district (Kreis) of Stuhm in Regierungsbezirk Marienwerder until the end of World War I, when it came under the jurisdiction of East Prussia. In 1928, both Klein Schardau and Rudnerweide were merged into one administrative unit named Rudnerweide (now Rudniki). The village came under the control of Nazi Germany during World War II until March 1945, when it was occupied by Soviet forces and returned to Poland. Today, as part of Rudniki, it is located in the administrative district of Gmina Ryjewo, within Kwidzyn County, Pomeranian Voivodeship.
The 1776 Prussian census lists 17 Mennonite families in Klein Schardau with the following surnames: Albrecht, Becher, Block, Ewert, Jantzen, Kliewer, Neumann, Nickel, Penner, Schmidt, Tiahrt, Vodt, and Wichert. In 1824, Mennonites held 17 properties in Klein Schardau. In 1885, Klein Schardau was inhabited by 26 Catholics, 32 Evangelicals, and 69 Mennonites.
Mennonites who were residents of Klein Schardau were members of the Tragheimerweide Mennonite Church.
Stowarzyszenie Konserwatorów Zabytków. "Rudniki." Catalogue of Monuments of Dutch Colonization in Poland. 2005. Web. 7 April 2013. http://holland.org.pl/art.php?kat=obiekt&id=528&lang=en.
Stowarzyszenie Konserwatorów Zabytków. "Szkaradowo Wielkie." Catalogue of Monuments of Dutch Colonization in Poland. 2005. Web. 8 April 2013. http://holland.org.pl/art.php?kat=obiekt&id=533&lang=en.
Wolf, Hans-Jürgen. "Familienforschung in Westpreußen." Web. 7 April 2013. http://www.westpreussen.de/cms/ct/ortsverzeichnis/details.php?ID=3232.
|Author(s)||Richard D Thiessen|
|Date Published||April 2013|
Cite This Article
Thiessen, Richard D. "Klein Schardau (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. April 2013. Web. 4 Jul 2020. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Klein_Schardau_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=124283.
Thiessen, Richard D. (April 2013). Klein Schardau (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 4 July 2020, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Klein_Schardau_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=124283.
©1996-2020 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.