Carrot River Mennonite Church (Carrot River, Saskatchewan, Canada)
As early as 1925 Mennonite families started moving into the area south of what is now the Town of Carrot River. As their numbers grew, they began to meet in their homes for fellowship. Pastors from Winnipeg, southern Saskatchewan, and Lost River came to serve with sermons and perform baptisms, communion, and marriages.
In 1928 the building of a small church (26 by 30 feet), began; it was dedicated on 31 March 1929. This church became the Hoffnungsfeld Mennonite Church of Carrot River. In time, some of the original families moved their homesteads further north. Here, people started gathering in homes for Sunday School and worship. The process of building a church here began in 1934 and was dedicated in 1937 with Rev. Benjamin Ewert officiating, and Rev. Cornelius. C. Boschman, serving as a minister.
In the late 1950s, the Hoffnungsfeld Mennonite Church of Carrot River ("the South Church"), considered expansion. At the same time, the Petaigan Church ("the North Church"), was getting smaller and contemplated closing. The two churches decided to build a larger church in the Town of Carrot River. Work on this church started in 1959 and the Carrot River Mennonite Church was dedicated on Easter Monday, 1960.
Carrot River was one of the five local worshiping locations of the Hoffnungsfelder Gemeinde which included Rabbit Lake, Glenbush, Petaigan and Mayfair. They were received as members of the Conference of Mennonites in Canada in 1934.
In 1960 the congregation decided to leave the Hoffnungsfelder Gemeinde and become an independent congregation, named Grace Mennonite Church. Then in 1962, it changed its name again to Carrot River Mennonite Church.
In 2020 church programs included Children's Club, Youth Group, Sunday School, Bible Studies, and Koinonia Ladies Group. The language of worship is English; the transition from German occurred in the 1960s.
Canadian Mennonite (23 September 1955): 7; (29 April 1960): 1.
"Church history." Carrot River Mennonite Church. Web. 2 July 2021. https://www.crmennonitechurch.com/church-history.html.
Address: 2702 Poplar Ave., Box 567, Carrot River, Saskatchewan S0E 0L0
Mennonite Church Saskatchewan (1929-present)
General Conference Mennonite Church (1953-1999)
Carrot River Mennonite Church Pastors
|Name||Year of Service|
|John H. Wiebe||1961-1965|
|John F. Wiebe||1966-1968|
|Wally Zacharias||1965, 1976|
|Philip A. Gunther||1992-1999|
|Ed Cornelson (Interim)||2006-2007|
|Ken Bechtel (interim)||2012-2013|
Carrot River Mennonite Church Membership
|Samuel J. Steiner|
|Date Published||July 2021|
Cite This Article
Epp, Marlene and Samuel J. Steiner. "Carrot River Mennonite Church (Carrot River, Saskatchewan, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. July 2021. Web. 18 Oct 2021. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Carrot_River_Mennonite_Church_(Carrot_River,_Saskatchewan,_Canada)&oldid=171890.
Epp, Marlene and Samuel J. Steiner. (July 2021). Carrot River Mennonite Church (Carrot River, Saskatchewan, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 October 2021, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Carrot_River_Mennonite_Church_(Carrot_River,_Saskatchewan,_Canada)&oldid=171890.
©1996-2021 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.