Cairo Mennonite Church (Cairo, Nebraska, USA)
The Abbot Mennonite Church, Abbot, Nebraska, USA, began as an outreach of the Wood River Mennonite congregation. In the early 1950s Wood River held successful Summer Bible School services in the Abbot schoolhouse. In 1954 a number of members from Wood River formed the Abbot congregation, though separate membership records did not take place until later in the decade. Alvin Gascho served both congregations for a time.
In 1963 the congregation purchased a former Lutheran Church building in Cairo, Nebraska, and changed its name to Cairo Mennonite Church.
Cairo Mennonite was last listed in the 1986 Mennonite Yearbook.
Yoder, Holly Blosser. The same spirit: History of Iowa-Nebraska Mennonites. Freeman, S.D.: Central Plains Mennonite Conference, 2003: 279.
Address: Cairo, Nebraska, USA
Denominational Affiliations: Iowa-Nebraska Mennonite Conference
Mennonite Church (MC)
Pastoral Leaders at Cairo Mennonite Church
|Alvin Gascho (1906-1982)||1954-1960|
|Simon Gingerich (1882-1971)(Interim)||1960|
|Stanley J. Troyer (1927-2010)||1960-1970|
|Alarian Schweitzer (Lay leader)||1974-1986|
Cairo Mennonite Church Membership
|Author(s)||Samuel J Steiner|
|Date Published||August 2023|
Cite This Article
Steiner, Samuel J. "Cairo Mennonite Church (Cairo, Nebraska, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. August 2023. Web. 29 Nov 2023. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Cairo_Mennonite_Church_(Cairo,_Nebraska,_USA)&oldid=176405.
Steiner, Samuel J. (August 2023). Cairo Mennonite Church (Cairo, Nebraska, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 29 November 2023, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Cairo_Mennonite_Church_(Cairo,_Nebraska,_USA)&oldid=176405.
©1996-2023 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.