From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Contents

Risser (Rissers) Mennonite Church, located four miles east of Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania, a member of the Lancaster Conference, originated in 1737. The first meetinghouse was built in 1760 in a grove on Peter Risser's land. This was enlarged in 1865, and in 1887 replaced by the present frame church 50 x 70 ft. It is beautifully located, with a schoolhouse adjoining and a well-kept cemetery. In 1957 the membership was 138; Noah W. Risser and Clarence E. Lutz were the bishops, Walter W. Oberholtzer and J. Harold Forwood the ministers. It formerly shared its ministers with the Stauffer congregation at Bachmanville.

[edit] Additional Information

Address: 8360 Elizabethtown Rd, Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania 17022

Phone: 717-367-1975

Website:

Denominational Affiliations: Lancaster Mennonite Conference

Mennonite Church USA

[edit] Map

Risser Mennonite Church (Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania, USA)


Author(s) Ira D Landis
Date Published 1959


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Landis, Ira D. "Risser Mennonite Church (Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 25 Jun 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Risser_Mennonite_Church_(Elizabethtown,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=117057.

APA style

Landis, Ira D. (1959). Risser Mennonite Church (Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 June 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Risser_Mennonite_Church_(Elizabethtown,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=117057.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Kitchener, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 341. All rights reserved.


©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.