Stauffer Mennonite Church (MC), a member of the Lancaster Conference, is located near Bachmanville in Conewago Township, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania. Michael Shenk, Benjamin Longenecker, John Risser, and the Lehmans were in this area in the latter half of the 18th century. The first meetinghouse was built about 1780. This was a part of the Risser congregation in Lancaster County, sharing its ministry. Before the meetinghouse was built Peter Risser preached for them in private dwellings. It early became a part of the present Noah W. Risser- Clarence E. Lutz Bishop District, with John Mumma as the first resident bishop. The present church was built on the same site in 1918. A well-kept cemetery adjoins the churchyard. The membership in 1957 was 163, with J. Frank Zeager as pastor. An outpost at Sand Beach has developed into a permanent Sunday school and mission at East Hanover.
In 2014 the Stauffer Mennonite congregation was meeting in private homes, and had a membership of 21.
 Additional Information
Address: Meets in member homes in the Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania area
Denominational Affiliations: Lancaster Mennonite Conference
|Author(s)||Ira D Landis|
 Cite This Article
Landis, Ira D. "Stauffer Mennonite Church (Conewago Township, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 17 Sep 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Stauffer_Mennonite_Church_(Conewago_Township,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=116331.
Landis, Ira D. (1959). Stauffer Mennonite Church (Conewago Township, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 17 September 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Stauffer_Mennonite_Church_(Conewago_Township,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=116331.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.