Elizabethtown, a borough of 5,000 (in 1950) in northwestern Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, was laid out by Barnabas Hughes in 1753 and named in honor of his wife, Elizabeth. The Harrisburg-Lancaster Pike, built in 1805, passed through the town, thus bringing the stage coaches and the six-horse Conestoga wagons. With Lancaster, Harrisburg, and Lebanon 18 miles away, the town was a prosperous trading center, A variety of industries, the State Crippled Children’s Home to the north, and also the Elizabethtown (Church of the Brethren) College on the east side, make it a prominent, prosperous, and clean town for retired Mennonite farmers. The Elizabethtown Mennonite Church was established here in 1905, with 223 members in 1953, and there are five other old established congregations in the vicinity, viz., Good’s, Bossler’s, Risser’s, Strickler’s, and Stauffer’s, in addition to several mission stations, with a total of ca. 900 members more.
|Author(s)||Ira D Landis|
 Cite This Article
Landis, Ira D. "Elizabethtown (Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 23 Jul 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Elizabethtown_(Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=80416.
Landis, Ira D. (1956). Elizabethtown (Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 July 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Elizabethtown_(Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=80416.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.