From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Strickler Mennonite Church, now extinct. Henry Strickler settled southeast of Columbia, Pennsylvania, and Jacob and Henry went to Hellman Township, York County, early to establish a Mennonite community. About 1790 Jacob sold from his 150-acre farm a three-cornered plot to Henry Strickler, Andrew Garber, and Abraham Flury for a Mennonite meet­inghouse. The brick was imported from England for a 30 x 28 ft. building directly south of the Lin­coln Highway, about two miles west of Wrightsville. The well-kept Strickler burying ground is about a quarter mile east. The congregation was under Lancaster Conference and was served by Frederick Stauffer as bishop, Daniel Stauffer and David Witmer as ministers, and Michael Strickler as deacon in the late 1880s. Witmer's, now known as Stony Brook, absorbed this membership and by 1920 the house was razed and plot sold.


Author(s) Ira D Landis
Date Published 1959


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Landis, Ira D. "Strickler Mennonite Church (York County, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 30 Sep 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Strickler_Mennonite_Church_(York_County,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=122867.

APA style

Landis, Ira D. (1959). Strickler Mennonite Church (York County, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 30 September 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Strickler_Mennonite_Church_(York_County,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=122867.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 646. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.