From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

The Oscoda County, Michigan, Old Order Amish Settlement dates back to 1900, when four families, Sam Weaver, Jerry Troyer, John Weaver, and Christ D. Miller, moved into the neighborhood of Mio in Oscoda County from Geauga County, Ohio. A congregation was formed in 1901 with the following as ministers: Emanuel Schlabach, David Nissley, Jacob Gascho, Yost Yoder, and David D. Schlabach (ordained as bishop in 1903). The following have served in the ministry since the beginning: Jacob Gascho (ord. 1908) and Levi S. Troyer (1939), bishops; Daniel Miller, Sam Weaver, and Ben Schlabach, preachers. About 60 families both from eastern and western states moved to Oscoda County. By the 1950s the Amish began moving away. The membership in 1956 was 20.


Author(s) Levi S Troyer
Date Published 1959


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Troyer, Levi S. "Oscoda County Old Order Amish Settlement (Oscoda County, Michigan, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 27 Dec 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Oscoda_County_Old_Order_Amish_Settlement_(Oscoda_County,_Michigan,_USA)&oldid=113861.

APA style

Troyer, Levi S. (1959). Oscoda County Old Order Amish Settlement (Oscoda County, Michigan, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 27 December 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Oscoda_County_Old_Order_Amish_Settlement_(Oscoda_County,_Michigan,_USA)&oldid=113861.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 89. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.