Middlebury, Indiana is a town (1950 pop. 839, 2000 pop. 2,956) in Middlebury Township, Elkhart County, IN For many years there have been many Amish and Mennonites in the vicinity of this village. As early as 1868 the Brenneman brothers, Daniel of Indiana and Henry of Ohio, preached to a "large, attentive, and very orderly audience." But no effort was made to locate a Mennonite church in the town before 1902, when a Sunday school was conducted in private homes.
In 1904 the Middlebury Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church) was organized with 32 charter members as a sort of outpost of the Forks congregation. In 1911 the first meetinghouse was built, a brick structure. In 1923 the congregation, along with a number of others in Indiana, suffered a schism on questions of discipline and conference authority. At this time about 100 members withdrew and became an independent congregation called Warren Street Mennonite Church, which later joined the Central Conference. In 1956 the two congregations had a total of 462 members of whom 62 were in the Warren Street congregation. A large number of Old Order Amish and Conservative Mennonites live in the territory surrounding Middlebury, which is their shopping center.
|Author(s)||John C Wenger|
 Cite This Article
Wenger, John C. "Middlebury (Indiana, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 20 Sep 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Middlebury_(Indiana,_USA)&oldid=89943.
Wenger, John C. (1957). Middlebury (Indiana, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 September 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Middlebury_(Indiana,_USA)&oldid=89943.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.