From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
Oscoda County, MI U.S. Census TIGER/Line map
Oscoda County, MI, in the north-central part of the state, is the location of three groups of Mennonites: the large Fairview Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), the small Comins Mennonite Church (General Conference Mennonite), and the very small Old Order Amish group.

The Amish began to settle in Oscoda County soon after 1900 and rapidly built up to two congregations, both served by the same ministers. But soon a decline set in, and the group dwindled (1957) to 10 or 12 members. Three bishops have served: David Slabaugh, Jacob Gascho, originally of Canada; and Levi S. Troyer. Troyer's death in 1954 was a serious blow to the Amish congregation; Ezra Kauffman, unordained, was appointed to preach for the group. The Amish began to worship with the Fairview Mennonite Church (MC).


Author(s) John C Wenger
Date Published 1959


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Wenger, John C. "Oscoda County (Michigan, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 22 Aug 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Oscoda_County_(Michigan,_USA)&oldid=93215.

APA style

Wenger, John C. (1959). Oscoda County (Michigan, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 August 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Oscoda_County_(Michigan,_USA)&oldid=93215.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 89. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.