Peter Maurer, the first Mennonite settler in Illinois, located in McLean County in 1829, near Rock Creek, five miles north of Danvers. The major migration to the area came in 1832-1850. However, the first two congregations, organized in 1833 and 1836, were both located across the border in Woodford County. The first congregation organizing in McLean County was the Rock Creek or Yoder Mennonite Church, organized in 1851 (meetinghouse 1853). From this church, later called North Danvers, three other congregations developed—South Danvers (1859), East White Oak (1892), and Carlock (1914). The Meadows Mennonite Church (1892) and the Anchor Mennonite Church (1894, dissolved 1953) on the far north and far east borders of the county had other origins. A mission congregation and also a bookstore were established in Bloomington in 1956 by the Mennonite Church (MC).
Weaver, W. B. History of the Central Conference Mennonite Church. Danvers, IL, 1926.
|Author(s)||Raymond L Hartzler|
 Cite This Article
Hartzler, Raymond L. "McLean County (Illinois, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 24 Apr 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=McLean_County_(Illinois,_USA)&oldid=113508.
Hartzler, Raymond L. (1957). McLean County (Illinois, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 April 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=McLean_County_(Illinois,_USA)&oldid=113508.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.