Vogt, Esther (1905-1988)
Esther Kulp: missionary to India; born 25 March 1905 to Isaac and Lizzie (Bergey) Kulp, the second of six children. She was born at Philadelphia and while very young moved with her parents to Cheraw, Colorado. Esther went to high school at Cheraw and La Junta, Colorado, transferring to Hesston Academy (Kansas) for her last year, receiving her diploma in 1923. She received her college degree in 1927 from Hesston College. While in college she served as secretary to the dean and the president of the college, 1924-1927. On 24 July 1927 she was married to Milton C. Vogt; they arrived in India on 25 November 1927. They served with the American Mennonite Mission (MC), Dhamtari, until 1941 when they were transferred to Bihar. She served there until the death of her husband in 1968.
The Vogts had six children. Soon after the birth of her fourth child, Bernard, in 1937 Esther suffered a stroke which paralyzed her left side. She never completely recovered from this. Seven months later, in January 1938, diphtheria claimed the life of baby Bernard.
She shared with her husband the concern for building the church and was very active with the Bible women (lay evangelists), especially before her stroke. Soon after the death of her husband in 1968 she returned to the United States where she retired in Colorado. She later moved to Chicago to live with her son, Virgil. She died 3 January 1988 at Beth-haven Nursing Home, Hannibal, Missouri.
Gospel Herald (5 March 1968): 194, 195; (9 February 1988): 102.
Graber, Esther Rose comp. "MBM Missionary Directory." (1983, 1984).
|Author(s)||S. Paul Miller|
Cite This Article
Miller, S. Paul. "Vogt, Esther (1905-1988)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1989. Web. 26 May 2019. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Vogt,_Esther_(1905-1988)&oldid=133917.
Miller, S. Paul. (1989). Vogt, Esther (1905-1988). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 26 May 2019, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Vogt,_Esther_(1905-1988)&oldid=133917.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 5, p. 916. All rights reserved.
©1996-2019 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.