Velké Bilovice (Okres Břeclav, Jihomoravský kraj, Czech Republic)
Velké Bilovice (formerly known as Pil(l)owitz or Bil(l)owitz), a village located 20 miles west of Göding in the Southern Moravian Region, in which the Hutterian Brethren acquired a house with all its equipment in 1545. Here occurred the death of deacon Gregor Pehem. Johann von Zierotin, the proprietor of Pillowitz, gave the Brethren a meadow in 1571 for a vineyard. One day in 1595 "in broad daylight" a fire was set in the roof of the Hutterite school, destroying not only the Bruderhof, but also a large part of the village. In April and June of 1600 the cavalry of Count Thurn caused a vast amount of damage. The Brethren fared even worse at the hands of the troops of the revolting Hungarians who had crossed into Moravian territory and on 7 May 1605, burned Pillowitz to the ground, after murdering four Brethren. For years the site remained desolate. In 1614, at the wish of the new Baron Ladislav Velen von Zierotin, the Brethren erected a new Bruderhof, which was burned down by Dampierre's soldiers in 1619. The Hutterites rebuilt once more, but in 1622 had to leave Pillowitz for good.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe; Schneider, 1913-1967: III, 375.
Zieglschmid, A. J. F. Die älteste Chronik der Hutterischen Brüder: Ein Sprachdenkmal aus frühneuhochdeutscher Zeit Ithaca: Cayuga Press, 1943.
Cite This Article
Dedic, Paul. "Velké Bilovice (Okres Břeclav, Jihomoravský kraj, Czech Republic)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 17 Nov 2019. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Velk%C3%A9_Bilovice_(Okres_B%C5%99eclav,_Jihomoravsk%C3%BD_kraj,_Czech_Republic)&oldid=133264.
Dedic, Paul. (1959). Velké Bilovice (Okres Břeclav, Jihomoravský kraj, Czech Republic). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 17 November 2019, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Velk%C3%A9_Bilovice_(Okres_B%C5%99eclav,_Jihomoravsk%C3%BD_kraj,_Czech_Republic)&oldid=133264.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 181. All rights reserved.
©1996-2019 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.