Flanagan Mennonite Church (Flanagan, Illinois, USA)

From GAMEO
Jump to navigation Jump to search

The Flanagan Mennonite Church (General Conference Mennonite), a member of the Central District Conference (formerly known as Central Conference of Mennonites), located about two miles southwest of Flanagan, Illinois, began as a Sunday school for Amish residents in the vicinity.  In 1878 the congregation was organized with Christian Rediger as its pastor. Four years later a church was built. Succeeding ministers and/or bishops were Stephen Stahley 1885-1916, Joseph Zehr 1890-1934, Emanuel Ulrich, beginning service in 1918. A full schedule of regular Sunday services was carried on in 1954, with a membership of 79.

In 1999 merger discussions began with Waldo Mennonite Church and on 15 April 2001 the two congregations merged, forming Prairieview Mennonite Church. The congregation is located at the former Waldo site.


Author(s) Raymond L.Hartzler Hartzler
Samuel J. Steiner
Date Published 2008

Cite This Article

MLA style

Hartzler, Raymond L.Hartzler and Samuel J. Steiner. "Flanagan Mennonite Church (Flanagan, Illinois, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 2008. Web. 27 Jul 2021. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Flanagan_Mennonite_Church_(Flanagan,_Illinois,_USA)&oldid=165779.

APA style

Hartzler, Raymond L.Hartzler and Samuel J. Steiner. (2008). Flanagan Mennonite Church (Flanagan, Illinois, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 27 July 2021, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Flanagan_Mennonite_Church_(Flanagan,_Illinois,_USA)&oldid=165779.




Hpbuttns.png

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 334. All rights reserved.


©1996-2021 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.