Community Bible Church (Glendive, Montana, USA)

From GAMEO
Jump to navigation Jump to search

First Mennonite Church in Glendive, Montana, USA, began after a number of Mennonite families moved to the area by the late 1940s.

On 30 September 1947, the Evangelization Committee of the Northern District of the General Conference Mennonite Church approved launching Bible study and prayer meetings led by George Dick, pastor at the Bethlehem Mennonite Church. Leonard W. Harder, in June 1948, began to give leadership to the group that began to worship on Sunday mornings that month in the Independent Order of Odd Fellows Hall in Glendive.

By early December 1948, the basement for a new church building was completed with the assistance of the Bethlehem Mennonite Church. The first service in the new sanctuary took place on 18 December 1949. A new church was built on the corner of Taylor Avenue and Clement Street in 1963, and the congregation built a parsonage in 1966.

The group organized as a congregation on 2 April 1950 with 36 charter members.

The church withdrew from the Northern District and the General Conference Mennonite Church in 1978. This led to a split in the congregation on 4 March 1979. After the division, the name of First Mennonite Church changed to Community Bible Church, and the congregation became a nondenominational community church.

The members who left became part of the White Chapel Mennonite Church of Glendive.

Bibliography

Mennonite Yearbook and Almanac. General Conference Publication Board, Berne, Indiana, 1951.

Schmidt, Diena, ed. The Northern District Conference of the General Conference Mennonite Church 1891-1991. Freeman, S.D.: The Conference, 1991:

Additional Information

Address: 605 East Clement Street, Glendive, Montana 59330

Phone: 406-365-2635

Website: https://www.cbcglendive.org/

Denominational Affiliations: Northern District Conference (until 1978)

General Conference Mennonite Church (until 1978)

Pastoral Leaders at Community Bible Church Church

Name Years
of Service
Leonard W. Harder (1913-1990) 1948-1955
Eddie Woldt (Interim) 1955-1956
Randall A. "R. A." Heinrichs (1918-1990) 1956-1958
Bruno A. Penner (1928-2020) 1958-1965
Abraham C. Siebert (1905-1991) 1966-1972
Frank Funk 1972-1974
Edmund Neubauer (1924-1993) 1974-?

Community Bible Church Membership

Year Members
1950 36
1960 55
1970 57
1978 65

Original Mennonite Encyclopedia Article

By Melvin Gingerich. Copied by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 1087. All rights reserved.

First Mennonite Church in Glendive, Montana (General Conference Mennonite Church) had 52 members in 1957, with Randall Heinrichs as pastor. First listed as an organized congregation in the 1952 Handbook, its first Sunday morning worship was held on June 13, 1948. Its church was built in 1948-49.


Author(s) Samuel J Steiner
Date Published September 2023

Cite This Article

MLA style

Steiner, Samuel J. "Community Bible Church (Glendive, Montana, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. September 2023. Web. 27 Feb 2024. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Community_Bible_Church_(Glendive,_Montana,_USA)&oldid=177456.

APA style

Steiner, Samuel J. (September 2023). Community Bible Church (Glendive, Montana, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 27 February 2024, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Community_Bible_Church_(Glendive,_Montana,_USA)&oldid=177456.




©1996-2024 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.