Barrickman Hutterite Colony (Cartier, Manitoba, Canada)
Barrickman is a Hutterite Bruderhof, 12 miles (20 km) west of Headingly, Manitoba. It was founded in 1920 by 12 families of the Maxwell Bruderhof, three miles (5 km) west of Barrickman. The Bruderhof has 2,740 acres of land south of the Assiniboine River. Small grain was the most suitable crop in the 1950s. Other products were honey, fruit, and vegetables. Their first preacher was Samuel Hofer, who died in 1935. In 1931 David Dekker was chosen preacher, and in 1937 David Hofer. In 1941 the Bruderhof numbered 194 souls, 75 being baptized members. In 1941 Preacher David Dekker with 13 families moved to Olivet, Hutchinson County, South Dakota; they bought the Tschetter Bruderhof, which had not been occupied by Hutterites since 1918, when the occupants moved to Alberta, and founded the Rosebud Bruderhof near Rocky Ford. In 1947 the Barickman Bruderhof numbered 135 souls with 54 baptized.
In 2017 Barrickman Hutterite Colony was a Schmiedeleut Group 1 colony.
Cartier, Manitoba (coordinates: 49.934167, -97.605278 [49˚ 56′ 03″ N, 97˚ 36′ 19″ W]; 33.3 km. [20.7 miles] west of Winnipeg and 49.4 km [30.7 miles] east of Portage la Prairie).
R.R.1, Box 200, Cartier, Manitoba R4K 1B8
Managers and Ministers
|Ben Hofer||Dave Hofer||1999|
|Ben Hofer||Dave Hofer||2006|
|Ben Hofer||Steve Hofer||2015|
|Ben Hofer||Steve Hofer||2018|
|Date Published||April 2018|
Cite This Article
Decker, David and Bert Friesen. "Barrickman Hutterite Colony (Cartier, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. April 2018. Web. 16 Feb 2019. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Barrickman_Hutterite_Colony_(Cartier,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=160485.
Decker, David and Bert Friesen. (April 2018). Barrickman Hutterite Colony (Cartier, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 16 February 2019, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Barrickman_Hutterite_Colony_(Cartier,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=160485.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 234. All rights reserved.
©1996-2019 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.