Maxwell Hutterite Colony (Headingly, Manitoba, Canada)
In 1918 many of the Hutterian Brethren in the United States went to Canada because of Canada's more liberal provisions for conscientious objectors to war. The Bruderhof at Maxmill, South Dakota, consisting of 29 families and their preacher Samuel Hofer, made a settlement near Headingly, MB. Samuel Hofer was chosen minister on 15 January 1911, and confirmed on 17 March, 1918, in South Dakota. Other preachers were Jorg Waldner, chosen 4 August 1929, confirmed 16 December 1934, Jorg Wipf, chosen 31 January 1937, and Joseph Hofer, chosen 1919 and confirmed 18 March 1928. In 1947 the Bruderhof had 78 inhabitants, of whom 28 were baptized members.
Daughter colonies of Maxwell include: Barrickman (Cartier, Manitoba); Brightstone (Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba); Lakeside (Cartier, Manitoba); Ridgeville (Ridgeville, Manitoba); Alsask (Alsask, Saskatchewan, Canada); and Souris River (Elgin, Manitoba).
In 2017 the Maxwell Colony was a Schmiedeleut Group 2 colony.
St. François Xavier, Manitoba (coordinates: 49.951389, -97.648056 [49˚57′ 05″ N 97˚38′ 53″ W]); 36.7 km. (22.8 miles) north-west of Winnipeg and 46.2 km. (28.7 miles) east of Portage la Prairie.
10450 Assiniboine Rd., Cartier, Mantioba R4K 1B8
Managers and Ministers
|Peter Wipf||Jonathan Wipf, 1938-2005||1999|
|Peter Wipf||Jonathan Wipf, 1938-2005||2005|
|Peter Wipf||Victor Wipf||2006|
|Peter Wipf||Victor Wipf||2019|
|Date Published||October 2019|
Cite This Article
Decker, David and Bert Friesen. "Maxwell Hutterite Colony (Headingly, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. October 2019. Web. 27 Sep 2020. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Maxwell_Hutterite_Colony_(Headingly,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=164698.
Decker, David and Bert Friesen. (October 2019). Maxwell Hutterite Colony (Headingly, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 27 September 2020, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Maxwell_Hutterite_Colony_(Headingly,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=164698.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 545. All rights reserved.
©1996-2020 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.