From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Salem Deaconess Home and Hospital, located at Salem, OR, was founded in 1917 under the auspices of the local General Conference Mennonite, Mennonite Brethren, and Evangelical Mennonite Brethren churches, with Franz B. Wedel as superintendent. The main unit of the hospital had 60 beds. Franz B. Wedel was also the editor of the Salems Stern. After he died in 1930 his son Frank F. Wedel became the superintendent. Under him the south unit was added to the main building. In 1948 the hospital administration was reorganized by creating a board of twelve members consisting primarily of local business people, and the name was changed to Salem Memorial Hospital. By this time the hospital had lost its Mennonite denominational character. At present Irwin F. Wedel, the son of Frank F. Wedel, is superintendent. A west unit was added to the building in the late 1950s, when the hospital had 155 beds and two clinics. (Salems Stern, 1919-30.)


Author(s) Cornelius Krahn
Date Published 1959


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Krahn, Cornelius. "Salem Deaconess Home and Hospital (Salem, Oregon, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 28 Nov 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Salem_Deaconess_Home_and_Hospital_(Salem,_Oregon,_USA)&oldid=93437.

APA style

Krahn, Cornelius. (1959). Salem Deaconess Home and Hospital (Salem, Oregon, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 28 November 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Salem_Deaconess_Home_and_Hospital_(Salem,_Oregon,_USA)&oldid=93437.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 403. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.