From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Mennonite Gospel Mission (Mennonite Church), Kansas City, Kansas, was opened in 1905 at 200 S. 7th Street, under the direction of a local mission board appointed by the Missouri-Iowa and the Kansas - Nebraska district conferences; later the work was taken over by the Mennonite Board of Missions and Charities. In February 1946 the Mission was discontinued and the Argentine Mennonite Church was organized as its direct successor, acquiring 130 of the 176 members of the Mission.

The following served as superintendents in the order named: J. F. Brunk, J. D. Charles, C. A. Hartzler, J. D. Mininger, William Smith, and Edward Yoder. Many persons contributed years of service as mission workers, assisting the superintendent and matron. J. D. Mininger was the long-time superintendent and outstanding leader. The original building at 200 S. 7th Street was sold and a church was built at 3701 Metropolitan Ave., Kansas City, KS, and dedicated 25 February 1925. Additional places of worship were located at Morris, KS, and at 1238 Washington Ave., Kansas City, Missouri, USA). When the Argentine Mennonite Church was organized these two places were continued as missions under the joint name of Twin City Missions, the Washington Avenue place being called the Mennonite Gospel Center.


Author(s) Rufus P Horst
Date Published 1957


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Horst, Rufus P. "Mennonite Gospel Mission (Kansas City, Kansas, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 18 Sep 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mennonite_Gospel_Mission_(Kansas_City,_Kansas,_USA)&oldid=101741.

APA style

Horst, Rufus P. (1957). Mennonite Gospel Mission (Kansas City, Kansas, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 September 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mennonite_Gospel_Mission_(Kansas_City,_Kansas,_USA)&oldid=101741.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, pp. 623-624. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.