After the Martinite (Wisler) division of 1893 the new group continued to worship in the stone meetinghouse built in 1886 by the Mennonites of the Lancaster Conference (MC), of which they were then a part; in fact, there were very few left in the parent body in this congregation. The one Zimmerman cemetery, located south of the church, continues to be used by them. The Lancaster Conference and the Old Order Mennonites both used the same meetinghouse, and after the division of 1926 into the Groffdale and Weaverland conferences, all three groups used it. By 1949, with the Lancaster Conference membership built up (279 in 1956), they built a new church to the north, leaving the old building for the two conferences. The two groups continued to grow under their own ministers. The Groffdale Conference, earlier under Joseph Wenger as bishop, in the 1950s Aaron Z. Sensenig as bishop, and Harry H. Martin as minister, was a part of the Weaverland circuit with George G. Horst also as minister. The membership in the 1950s was about 275. The Weaverland Conference with 160 members was in charge of Joseph O. Weaver, bishop, and John B. Weaver, minister. Martindale and Weaverland were in a circuit too.
|Author(s)||Ira D Landis|
 Cite This Article
Landis, Ira D. "Martindale Old Order Mennonite Meetinghouse (Ephrata, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 28 Mar 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Martindale_Old_Order_Mennonite_Meetinghouse_(Ephrata,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=89438.
Landis, Ira D. (1957). Martindale Old Order Mennonite Meetinghouse (Ephrata, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 28 March 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Martindale_Old_Order_Mennonite_Meetinghouse_(Ephrata,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=89438.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.