From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Contents

Martindale Mennonite Church in Martindale, Pennsylvania in July 1949.
Source: Mennonite Community Photograph Collection, The Congregation (HM4-134 Box 1 photo 010.0-13).
Mennonite Church USA Archives, Goshen, Indiana
.
Martindale Mennonite Church.
Source: Church website

Martindale Mennonite Church (MC), a member of the Lancaster Conference, formerly called Fairview, had a meetinghouse on the northeast corner of the town square by 1854. In 1848 the widow of Christian Zimmerman gave a tract for burial purposes west of the town, which became the location of a new meetinghouse in 1886. The Old Order Mennonite schism of 1893 in this area resulted in two branches, both using the meetinghouse, and after 1926 three used this commodious stone house, since the Old Order Mennonite group had a schism. The meetinghouse still had the singing table and a table on the floor for a pulpit. After the 1893 division the Mennonite (MC) congregation was very small, and was cared for by the ministers of the Weaverland congregation. This small group became the especial care of I. B. Good and the membership grew. In 1948-49 a 60 x 86 ft. brick meetinghouse was built northwest of the town, the Old Order Mennonite groups retaining the old house. In 1954 the membership was 266 with John D. Burkholder and Alvin Martin as ministers. In 2005 the membership was 370 with Robert L. Trupe as Pastor.

[edit] Additional Information

Address: PO Box 2353, Martindale, PA 17549

Physical Location: 171 Hurst Rd, Ephrata, PA

Phone: 717-445-6333

Website: http://www.martindalemc.org/

Denominational Affiliations:

Lancaster Mennonite Conference

Mennonite Church USA

[edit] Map

Map:Martindale Mennonite Church (Ephrata, Pennsylvania, USA)


Author(s) Ira D Landis
Date Published 1957


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Landis, Ira D. "Martindale Mennonite Church (Ephrata, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 23 Sep 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Martindale_Mennonite_Church_(Ephrata,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=117103.

APA style

Landis, Ira D. (1957). Martindale Mennonite Church (Ephrata, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 September 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Martindale_Mennonite_Church_(Ephrata,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=117103.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 516. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.