Markham, in York County, Ontario, is a town/city (1955 pop. 3,000; 2005 pop. 260,000) immediately north of Toronto. Mennonites have lived in this area since 1803. In the 1950s some of them resided in town but most lived north and east of town. Seven Mennonite churches with 323 members were located in this area in 1955. Four were members of the Ontario Mennonite Conference (Mennonite Church), namely, Widemans, Cedar Grove, Almira, and Hagerman's with a membership of 218. Three were Wisler or Old Order Mennonite, namely, Almira, Reesor, and Altona, with 105 members. In addition, the United Missionary Church had two congregations with 264 members in the area of Markham and Gormley, and the Brethren in Christ (Tunkers) have (1957) 162 members in the Markham district, in two congregations, Vaughn and Heise Hill.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe; Schneider, 1913-1967: III, 41.
|Author(s)||Paul H Grove|
 Cite This Article
Grove, Paul H. "Markham (Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 24 Aug 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Markham_(Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=111336.
Grove, Paul H. (1957). Markham (Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 August 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Markham_(Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=111336.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.