Almira Mennonite (Mennonite Church) Church, near Almira, Markham Township, Ontario. What was formerly known as Huber's and Stecklin in the northwest part of Markham Township became extinct with the building of a brick church on the fifth concession of Markham in 1860. The meetinghouse was used alternately by the Mennonite Conference of Ontario and the Old Order Mennonites after the 1889 division. The ministers who resided near the church were Adam Wideman, Jacob Wideman, Samuel Wideman, Lewis S. Weber and Aaron D. Grove. Deacons included Daniel Hoover, Christian L. Hoover, Manasseh R. Fretz and Jacob H. Wideman. Revival meetings were occasionally held and other ministers of the county also served upon request. The Almira membership was never large, usually about 30.
The meetinghouse was located on Lot 32, Concession 5, Markham Township, East side of Fifth line, North of 19th Ave. In 1925 there were 32 members; in 1950, 31. The congregation dissolved in 1957.
|Joseph C Fretz|
|Date Published||April 1986|
 Cite This Article
Epp, Marlene and Joseph C Fretz. "Almira Mennonite Church (Unionville, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. April 1986. Web. 22 Aug 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Almira_Mennonite_Church_(Unionville,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=115638.
Epp, Marlene and Joseph C Fretz. (April 1986). Almira Mennonite Church (Unionville, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 August 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Almira_Mennonite_Church_(Unionville,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=115638.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.