Manchester Mennonite (Mennonite Church) Church (formerly called Liverpool), a member of the Lancaster Mennonite Conference, was located eight miles (13 km) north of York, in York County, Pennsylvania. The Mennonites in this community, the Keller, Leib, Reiff, and Rodes families, worshiped in private homes and in the Hoover Union Church until 1810. In that year a yellow sandstone meetinghouse was built on land given by Christian Keller one-half mile north of the town of Manchester. It was regularly used until 1850 when the congregation in effect had died out. Thereafter it was occasionally used by the Stony Brook congregation as an additional preaching point. In 1948 it was reopened as a mission station in the old building, the oldest meetinghouse still in use in the Lancaster Conference. In 1949 Joseph H. Martin was ordained as pastor and in 1954 Lloyd L. Hollinger as assistant pastor. In 1955 the membership was 50.
The congregation closed in the mid-1970s; it was no longer listed in the 1977 Mennonite Yearbook. In 1976 it had 18 members with Lloyd L. Hollinger as the pastor.
Mennonite Yearbook (1976): 46.
|Author(s)||Ira D Landis|
|Date Published||March 2014|
 Cite This Article
Landis, Ira D and Sam Steiner. "Manchester Mennonite Church (York, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. March 2014. Web. 21 Aug 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Manchester_Mennonite_Church_(York,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=116529.
Landis, Ira D and Sam Steiner. (March 2014). Manchester Mennonite Church (York, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 August 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Manchester_Mennonite_Church_(York,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=116529.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.=