From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Stony Brook Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), located on the Lincoln Highway, 4 miles east of York, Pennsylvania, had a meetinghouse by 1803, one block southwest of the present site, known as Witmer's. A deed of 1818 states that "David Sprenkle of West Manchester Township sold to David Witmer, Rudolph Forry, both of Spring Garden Township, and Michael Strickler of Hellam Township, Trustees of congregation worshiping at the Mennonist Meeting­house at the stone ridge in Spring Garden Town­ship 77 P for $72.18, for the Mennist Church, wor­shiping in and around Spring Garden Township, and for those permitted by said congregation to bury their dead on the Grave Yard, contained on same Lot and for no other purpose whatsoever." This was alongside an earlier family cemetery. The meet­inghouse was enlarged several times and in 1884 it was enlarged and considerably renovated. In 1912 the congregation moved into the town, building a brick church, 50 x 75 ft. B. L. Bucher was the pas­tor in 1957, with a membership of 79. This was a part of the Strickler-Witmer-Liverpool circuit a cen­tury ago, but now it is a separate congregation. Winterstown is an outpost of this congregation.


Author(s) Ira D Landis
Date Published 1959


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Landis, Ira D. "Stony Brook Mennonite Church (York, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 20 Sep 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Stony_Brook_Mennonite_Church_(York,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=85372.

APA style

Landis, Ira D. (1959). Stony Brook Mennonite Church (York, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 September 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Stony_Brook_Mennonite_Church_(York,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=85372.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 637. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.