Grace Hill (former German name: Gnadenberg Mennonite Church) (Mennonite Church USA) is located 8.5 miles (14 km) east and one mile (two km) south of Newton, Kansas, was founded as a congregation in 1811, near the city of Berditchev, in the province of Kiev, Polish Russia, and was known as the Michalin church and settlement, organized under the leadership of David Siebrandt. In the great movement to America the Michalin congregation also chose to emigrate, and arrived in three groups—two late in 1874, and the third in 1878. In 1875 the group was incorporated under the name Gnadenberg. Their church, dedicated in 1882, was still in use in 1953, with the distinction of being the oldest Mennonite church building in continuous use west of the Mississippi River. It was replaced by a new church dedicated in August 1954.
Gnadenberg was a charter member of the Kansas Conference when it was organized in 1877 and took part in the conference sessions of the General Conference at Halstead in 1881. From 1811 to 1941 Gnadenberg was served by three elders: David Siebrandt (minister 1811 and elder 1816), Johann Schroeder (minister 1848 and elder 1852), and Gerhard N. Harms (minister 1888, elder 1901). J. J. Voth served the group in 1937-1949, and on 1 May 1949, Herbert E. Miller was installed as pastor of the congregation. The membership of the church in 1955 was 197. In 2007 the membership was 218; James J. Voth was the pastor.
 Additional Information
Address: 10218 SE 12th, Whitewater, Kansas
Website: Grace Hill Mennonite Church
|Author(s)||John F Schmidt|
 Cite This Article
Schmidt, John F. "Grace Hill Mennonite Church (Whitewater, Kansas, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 10 Jul 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Grace_Hill_Mennonite_Church_(Whitewater,_Kansas,_USA)&oldid=94906.
Schmidt, John F. (1956). Grace Hill Mennonite Church (Whitewater, Kansas, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 10 July 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Grace_Hill_Mennonite_Church_(Whitewater,_Kansas,_USA)&oldid=94906.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.