From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Gretna, MB. The congregation dissolved in 1954. The language of worship was German.

The congregation began services in the 1880s. The first building was occupied in 1883, with a subsequent building program in 1902. Heinrich Wiebe is considered the founding leader of the group. The congregation originated through immigration from Russia.

The church membership gradually declined to zero by 1947 as the work was absorbed by activities in Gretna. The building was moved to Kane in 1950. The congregation formally dissolved in 1954. Edenburg had the first Sunday School held in a Bergthaler church building, rather than a school.

[edit] Bibliography

Gerbrandt, H.J. Adventure in Faith. Altona: Bergthaler Mennonite Church of Manitoba, 1970.


Author(s) Marlene Epp
Date Published September 1986


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Epp, Marlene. "Edenburg Bergthaler Mennonite Church (Edenburg, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. September 1986. Web. 30 Aug 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Edenburg_Bergthaler_Mennonite_Church_(Edenburg,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=87218.

APA style

Epp, Marlene. (September 1986). Edenburg Bergthaler Mennonite Church (Edenburg, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 30 August 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Edenburg_Bergthaler_Mennonite_Church_(Edenburg,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=87218.




©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.