Crawford County, Pennsylvania U.S. Census TIGER/Line map
Crawford County, in northwestern Pennsylvania
, received its first Mennonites when a family settled near Spartansburg in 1917. Others came in 1931 and later. Britton Run Church
(Mennonite Church (MC
) was started in 1932, by Mennonite families from Nebraska
. The Meadville mission
(MC) began in 1935. Sunnyside Church
(MC), near Conneaut Lake, was built in 1938 to accommodate settlers from Iowa
and other states, while Meadville continued as a mission point. The combined Mennonite membership of approximately 224 (1954) included a few residing in Erie County. A few residents attended Beaver Dam Church
, Erie County, which was started in 1940. In 1949 a colony of Old Order Amish
resided near Atlantic and a few Conservative Amish
attended church in nearby Mercer County
|| James A Steiner
| Date Published
 Cite This Article
Steiner, James A. "Crawford County (Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 28 May 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Crawford_County_(Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=113311.
Steiner, James A. (1953). Crawford County (Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 28 May 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Crawford_County_(Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=113311.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia
, Vol. 1, p. 733. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.