From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Sunnyside Mennonite Church, located 3 miles northeast of Conneaut Lake and 8 miles west of Meadville, Pennsylvania, is one of three congregations (with Britton Run, 1931 and Beaverdam, 1940) formed in northwestern Pennsylvania by families moving in from the Middle West, particularly Iowa and Nebraska, in 1925-1940 in search of good farming opportunities. The majority of the first families at Sunnyside came in 1937 from Manson, Iowa. Forty-four prospective members, who had been worshiping at the Mennonite mission in Meadville, asked the Ohio and Eastern Amish Mennonite Conference for organization, which was effected in October 1937. The meetinghouse was built in stages between 1938 and 1944. J. W. Oswald of Nebraska served as pastor 1940-1947. In 1957 the membership was 95, with Harvey Schrock serving as pastor.

[edit] Bibliography

Oswald, Belmer. "The Planting and Growth of a Community in Northwestern Pennsylvania." Menn. Community VI (July 1952): 6-12.


Author(s) Harold S Bender
Date Published 1959


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Bender, Harold S. "Sunnyside Mennonite Church (Conneaut Lake, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 22 Jul 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Sunnyside_Mennonite_Church_(Conneaut_Lake,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=85469.

APA style

Bender, Harold S. (1959). Sunnyside Mennonite Church (Conneaut Lake, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 July 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Sunnyside_Mennonite_Church_(Conneaut_Lake,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=85469.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, pp. 662-663. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.