Wellman Mennonite Church (Wellman, Iowa, USA)

From GAMEO
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Wellman Mennonite Church in Wellman, Iowa in 1946.
Source: Mennonite Community Photograph Collection, The Congregation (HM4-134 Box 1 photo 010.6-2).
Mennonite Church USA Archives, Goshen, Indiana
.

In the summer of 1906, the West Union congregation opened a Sunday school in the Daytonville schoolhouse. Daytonville was a small village north of Wellman, Iowa. Soon after, C. Z. Yoder of Ohio led evangelistic meetings in Daytonville, which resulted in 11 new members. Daytonville Mennonite Church began as a mission to non-Mennonites, but by 1922 Amish Mennonite families began to move to the community, transforming it into a more traditional Mennonite congregation.

In 1911 the Wright County Amish Mennonites dismantled their church building and rebuilt it in Daytonville; it was dedicated on 18 June. West Union continued to hold services there until May 1935, when the congregation became independent with its own organization. In 1940, when its building became too small, the congregation erected a new brick building in Wellman, at which time it became the Wellman Mennonite Church. It dedicated the new facility on 10 November 1940. The congregation dedicated a major addition in 1975.

In 1948, the Wellman congregation launched an outreach in Daytonville, beginning with Summer Bible School and Sunday school. After a former Methodist church was purchased and moved to Daytonville, a new Daytonville Mennonite Church was launched.

As part of the realignment of the Mennonite Church (MC) and General Conference Mennonite Church into Mennonite Church USA, Wellman Mennonite was among the congregations that joined the new Central Plains Mennonite Conference in 2000.

In 2023 the congregation was part of the Central Plains Conference of Mennonite Church USA.

Bibliography

"The church building at Daytonville,..." Gospel Herald 4, no. 13 (29 June 1911): 200.

"The Daytonville, Iowa congregation has made arrangements...." Gospel Herald 33, no. 6 (9 May 1940): 136.

"The Daytonville, Iowa, congregation has been organized...." Gospel Herald 28, no. 13 (27 June 1935): 280.

Gingerich, Melvin. The Mennonites in Iowa. Iowa City, Iowa: State Historical Society of Iowa, 1939: 322.

"Wellman, Iowa." Gospel Herald 33, no. 34 (21 November 1940): 733, 736.

Yoder, Holly Blosser. The same spirit: History of Iowa-Nebraska Mennonites. Freeman, S.D.: Central Plains Mennonite Conference, 2003: 69-70, 172-174, 276.

Additional Information

Address: 1215 8th Avenue, Wellman, Iowa 52356

Phone: 319-646-2532

Website: https://www.facebook.com/wellmanmennonitechurch/

Denominational Affiliations: Central Plains Mennonite Conference

Mennonite Church USA

Pastoral Leaders at Wellman Mennonite Church

Name Years
of Service
Visiting and West
Union ministers
1906-1935
William S. "W. S." Guengerich (1877-1967) 1935-1949?
Edward Diener (1892-1953) 1936-1948
1950-1953
George S. Miller (1887-1978) 1939?-1961?
Max Yoder (1920-1993) 1948-1965
Gideon G. Yoder (1908-1971) 1965?-1967
Ronald L. Kennel 1967-1987
Stanley Weaver (Interim) 1987-1988
Daniel R. Johnston 1989-1995
Herbert L. Yoder (1929-2021)(Interim) 1995-1996
Michael Klassen 1997-2000?
Donald Patterson (Interim) 2001?
Robert L. Hartzler (1936-2022)(Interim) 2002-2003?
Marvin Dean Hostetler (1955-2012) 2003-2010
George O'Reilly (Interim) 2010
Nathan P. Ramer 2011-2019
J. Michael Loss (Interim) 2020-2021
David Heusinkveld 2021-

Membership at Wellman Mennonite Church

Year Membership
1935 87
1940 188
1950 318
1960 320
1970 283
1980 282
1990 268
2000 254
2009 208
2020 86

Original Mennonite Encyclopedia Article

By George S. Miller. Copied by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, pp. 914-915. All rights reserved.

Wellman Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), formerly called the Daytonville Mission, located in Wellman, Iowa, began in 1906 as a Sunday school in Daytonville Schoolhouse conducted by members of West Union congregation. The meetinghouse was acquired in 1911. W. S. Guengerich was first resident minister, ordained in 1925, followed by Edward Diener in 1926. The congregation was organized 6 May 1935. A new church with seating capacity of 650 at the north edge of Wellman was dedicated 10 November 1940.

The ministers in 1957 were George S. Miller and J. Max Yoder; the bishop was Simon Gingerich. The membership was 335.


Author(s) Samuel J Steiner
Date Published July 2023

Cite This Article

MLA style

Steiner, Samuel J. "Wellman Mennonite Church (Wellman, Iowa, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. July 2023. Web. 17 Apr 2024. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Wellman_Mennonite_Church_(Wellman,_Iowa,_USA)&oldid=176289.

APA style

Steiner, Samuel J. (July 2023). Wellman Mennonite Church (Wellman, Iowa, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 17 April 2024, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Wellman_Mennonite_Church_(Wellman,_Iowa,_USA)&oldid=176289.




©1996-2024 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.