Ureterp (Friesland, Netherlands)
Ureterp, a village in the Dutch province of Friesland. The Mennonites living here were at least from 1695 members of the Drachten congregation, which was officially called the Drachten and Ureterp congregation. Until ca. 1690 Drachten was probably independent, being the nucleus and oldest center from which the present Drachten-Ureterp congregation has developed. The suggestion by Blaupot ten Cate that the Ureterp congregation was founded before 1580 or between 1580 and 1600 is unfounded. The origin of this church is unknown. It existed in the early 17th century, when meetings were held in a barn, probably at Selmien, a hamlet near Ureterp. In November 1661 Michiel Wymmers promised to bequeath a plot of ground "forever" to "the true poor Mennonite followers of Lammert Gaukes" at Ureterp. As late as 1860 the Drachten and Ureterp parts of the congregation were more or less independent of each other, particularly in the care of the poor, for which they had separate funds. Apparently after the early 18th century (a new meetinghouse was built at Drachten shortly after 1690) no meetings were held at Ureterp. Concerning the meetinghouse in Ureterp there is no information at all.
Cate, G. ten. Geschiedk. Overzicht van de Doopsgez. gemeente te D. en U. Drachten. 1890: 1-17.
Cate, Steven Blaupot ten. Geschiedenis der Doopsgezinden in Friesland. Leeuwarden: W. Eekhoff, 1839: 166, 306.
Doopsgezind Jaarboekje (1942): 45.
Doopsgezinde Bijdragen (1861): 132; (1890): 93.
|Author(s)||Nanne van der Zijpp|
Cite This Article
Zijpp, Nanne van der. "Ureterp (Friesland, Netherlands)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 22 Mar 2019. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Ureterp_(Friesland,_Netherlands)&oldid=126518.
Zijpp, Nanne van der. (1959). Ureterp (Friesland, Netherlands). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 March 2019, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Ureterp_(Friesland,_Netherlands)&oldid=126518.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 789. All rights reserved.
©1996-2019 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.