Oras Church of God in Christ, Mennonite (Oras, Alberta, Canada)

From GAMEO
Jump to navigation Jump to search

The Oras Church of God in Christ, Mennonite congregation at Oras, Alberta, Canada was established in 1949. Oras was a locality located east of Rockway Mountain House. The congregation started when several families moved to the area to farm. Two additional families moved to the area in 1950.

Initially the small group met in homes, followed by a schoolhouse, and finally by an old one-room log house. Abe K. Toews served as pastor during the life of the congregation; his had been one of the first families to arrive.

As it turned out the land was not ideal for farming and roads were often poor, making it difficult to get produce to market. By 1954 the small settlement ended.

Bibliography

Histories of the congregations. 3rd. ed. Moundridge, Kansas: Gospel Publishers, 1999: 56-57/

Additional Information

Address: Rocky Mountain House, Alberta

Phone:

Website:

Denominational Affiliations:

Church of God in Christ, Mennonite


Author(s) Samuel J Steiner
Date Published May 2020


Cite This Article

MLA style

Steiner, Samuel J. "Oras Church of God in Christ, Mennonite (Oras, Alberta, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. May 2020. Web. 12 Jul 2020. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Oras_Church_of_God_in_Christ,_Mennonite_(Oras,_Alberta,_Canada)&oldid=168202.

APA style

Steiner, Samuel J. (May 2020). Oras Church of God in Christ, Mennonite (Oras, Alberta, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 12 July 2020, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Oras_Church_of_God_in_Christ,_Mennonite_(Oras,_Alberta,_Canada)&oldid=168202.




©1996-2020 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.