Ohio Wisler Mennonite Churches
The Ohio Wisler Mennonite Churches began in 1973, when a group of Ohio-Indiana (Wisler) Mennonite Conference congregations withdrew to form their own conference. The new group favored Sunday schools, revival meetings, and other evangelical practices not accepted by the larger Old Order Mennonite group. The Ohio Wisler Mennonites were initially served by two bishops from the Eastern Pennsylvania Mennonite Church before eventually selecting their own bishop.
In 2010 the bishop was David VanPelt. The conference periodical was Home Lights. In that year the following congregations were members of the Ohio Wisler Mennonite Conference:
|County Line Mennonite Church||Dalton||Ohio||1889||83|
|Maple Hill Mennonite Church||Rittman||Ohio||1832||41|
|Nsawam Mennonite Church||Nsawam||Ghana||2001||17|
|Salem Mennonite Church||Leetonia||Ohio||1983||81|
|Woodlawn Mennonite Church||Greenwich||Ohio||1986||79|
Each congregation operated its own school, including the congregation in Ghana.
Scott, Stephen. An Introduction to Old Order and Conservative Mennonite Groups. People's Place Book #12. Intercourse, PA: Good Books, 1996: 177-178.
|Author(s)||Richard D Thiessen|
|Date Published||October 2010|
Cite This Article
Thiessen, Richard D. "Ohio Wisler Mennonite Churches." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. October 2010. Web. 18 Nov 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Ohio_Wisler_Mennonite_Churches&oldid=122800.
Thiessen, Richard D. (October 2010). Ohio Wisler Mennonite Churches. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 November 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Ohio_Wisler_Mennonite_Churches&oldid=122800.
©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.