Mahbubnagar Mennonite Brethren Mission (Andhra Pradesh, India)
Mahbubnagar, a Mennonite Brethren Mission station in India, located in the district center, Mahbubnagar, 50 miles (80 km) southwest of Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, built by the American Baptist Telugu Mission about 1890. In 1937 the American Mennonite Brethren Mission purchased the property and took over the field, the indigenous church uniting with the Andhra Mennonite Brethren Church.
Early resident Mennonite Brethren missionaries were Mr. and Mrs. J. A. Wiebe and Mr. and Mrs. A. A. Unruh; the 1953 missionaries are Mr. and Mrs. J. N. C. Hiebert and Mr. and Mrs. Ernest E. Schmidt. The spacious mission compound contained a missionaries' residence, church, school, hostels for school boys and school girls, a building housing the printing press, and some smaller buildings. An adjoining compound contained a building formerly used as hospital.
The activities included the regular services in the station church, extensive evangelistic and church work in the town and in villages, the conducting of a middle and primary school for many years but which was changed in 1949 to a high school and primary school, publication and the operation of a printing press, and the work of a dispensary for some time. The station field, having an area of 1,400 square miles and 200,000 population, had several village churches, and the total church membership of the field in 1953 was 900.
|Author(s)||J. H Lohrenz|
Cite This Article
Lohrenz, J. H. "Mahbubnagar Mennonite Brethren Mission (Andhra Pradesh, India)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 28 May 2020. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mahbubnagar_Mennonite_Brethren_Mission_(Andhra_Pradesh,_India)&oldid=89243.
Lohrenz, J. H. (1957). Mahbubnagar Mennonite Brethren Mission (Andhra Pradesh, India). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 28 May 2020, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mahbubnagar_Mennonite_Brethren_Mission_(Andhra_Pradesh,_India)&oldid=89243.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 441. All rights reserved.
©1996-2020 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.