Mabel Memorial Chapel (Harrisonburg, Virginia, USA)

Jump to navigation Jump to search

Mabel Memorial Chapel is located three miles (five km) southeast of Harrisonburg, Virginia. It was built and endowed by Dr. Lucian Heneberger, a naval officer, as a memorial to his wife Mabel who had died many years before the building of the chapel in 1898. The congregation is a branch of the Harrisonburg Presbyterian Church. Moses Wenger, a Mennonite, donated the land for the church, school, and cemetery. This gift likely gave the Mennonites a right to hold services there once a month for the benefit of the Wenger, Good, and Landis families who lived nearby. These services were discontinued in the 1920s.

A Presbyterian congregation that used the chapel in the early 2000s ended its services in 2007. Efforts were made by the owner, First Presbyterian Church in Harrisonburg, to demolish the building, but this was not completed.

Restoration of the chapel and fellowship hall began in Summer 2016, and the Mabel Memorial Chapel reopened on Easter 2017 as a member congregation of the Southeastern Mennonite Conference. Pastors John Swartz and Philip Martin lead congregation.


Warner, Marc. Personal email. "Update to Mabel Memorial Chapel." (5 September 2018).

Additional Information

Address: 2025 Reservoir St, Harrisonburg, VA 22801



Denominational Affiliations: Southeastern Mennonite Conference

Author(s) Harry A. Brunk
Samuel J. Steiner
Date Published September 2018

Cite This Article

MLA style

Brunk, Harry A. and Samuel J. Steiner. "Mabel Memorial Chapel (Harrisonburg, Virginia, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. September 2018. Web. 28 Nov 2020.,_Virginia,_USA)&oldid=165956.

APA style

Brunk, Harry A. and Samuel J. Steiner. (September 2018). Mabel Memorial Chapel (Harrisonburg, Virginia, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 28 November 2020, from,_Virginia,_USA)&oldid=165956.


Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 430. All rights reserved.

©1996-2020 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.