Liberty Christian Fellowship (Clarklake, Michigan, USA)

From GAMEO
Jump to navigation Jump to search

The Liberty Christian Fellowship (originally Liberty Mennonite Church), located in Liberty Township, Jackson County, Michigan, was a mission outreach of the Indiana-Michigan Mennonite Mission Board in 1946. It purchased a former Methodist church built in 1867 with a seating capacity of about 150. The Methodist church had been closed since 1936.

The first pastor was Oscar Leinbach; the congregation formally organized in March 1950.

In about 2005, the congregation changed its name to Liberty Christian Fellowship.

In November 2021, Liberty Christian Fellowship asked the Indiana-Michigan Mennonite Conference to stop sending written materials. In 2023, the Conference declared Liberty Christian Fellowship to have withdrawn from the conference.

Bibliography

McClintic, David. "Liberty Christian Fellowship." Gospel Evangel 87, no. 5 (September 2006): 4.

Preheim, Rich. In Pursuit of Faithfulness: Conviction, Conflict, and Compromise in Indiana-Michigan Mennonite Conference. Harrisonburg, Va.: Herald Press, 2016: 310.

"Report Book for Annual Sessions 2023." Indiana-Michigan Mennonite Conference. 9-10 June 2023: 28.

Wenger, John Christian. The Mennonites in Indiana and Michigan. Scottdale, Pa.: Herald Press, 1961: 246.

Additional Information

Address: 100 West Liberty Road, Clarklake, Michigan 49234

Telephone:

Website:

Denominational Affiliations:

Indiana-Michigan Mennonite Conference (Until 2023)

Mennonite Church USA (Until 2023)

Pastoral Leaders at Liberty Christian Fellowship

Name Years
of Service
Oscar L. Leinbach (1914-1988)
(Bishop)
1946-1962
1962-1984
Dwaine Swartzentruber 1969-1975
Dean L. Stoll 1982-1987
Lay Leadership 1988-1989
Linnford R. Otto 1989-1992
Lay Leadership 1992-1995
David McClintic 1995-2013?
Brian Wills 2013?-2020s

Liberty Christian Fellowship Membership

Year Members
1950 7
1960 23
1970 38
1980 39
1990 46
2000 22
2009 22
2020 10

Original Mennonite Encyclopedia Article

By Oscar Leinbach. Copied by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 334. All rights reserved.

Liberty Mennonite Church is located in Liberty Mills, 11 miles (18 km) south of Jackson, Michigan, on Route 127. The meetinghouse is a former Methodist church built in 1867 with a seating capacity of about 150. It was closed in 1936, but was opened in 1946 under the direction of the Indiana-Michigan Mission Board. The congregation was organized in March 1950 with 13 charter members under the leadership of T. E. Schrock, bishop, and Oscar Leinbach, minister. In 1956 the membership was 21, mostly rural.


Author(s) Samuel J Steiner
Date Published June 2024

Cite This Article

MLA style

Steiner, Samuel J. "Liberty Christian Fellowship (Clarklake, Michigan, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. June 2024. Web. 25 Jul 2024. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Liberty_Christian_Fellowship_(Clarklake,_Michigan,_USA)&oldid=179153.

APA style

Steiner, Samuel J. (June 2024). Liberty Christian Fellowship (Clarklake, Michigan, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 July 2024, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Liberty_Christian_Fellowship_(Clarklake,_Michigan,_USA)&oldid=179153.




©1996-2024 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.