Hubbard (Oregon, USA)
Hubbard, Oregon, is a city (pop. 493 in 1955; 2,483 in 2000) in the Willamette Valley in Marion County. Approximately 500 Mennonites lived in the general area in 1955, largely of the Mennonite Church (MC) group, and some of the General Conference Church. Most lived east of Hubbard in two areas: one surrounding the Hopewell and the Zion congregations and the other about three or four miles (five-six km) further east near the Bethel congregation about 10 miles (16 km) east of Hubbard. Only about five per cent of them lived in or near Hubbard. The General Conference Church was near Barlow and Canby to the northeast. The area in which the Mennonites lived was one of diversified farming and dairying, which included berries, cherries, and other fruits, and small grains with some corn for feed; milk was sold on the Portland market about 30 miles (50 km) to the north. Two tile and brick factories were owned and operated in the 1950s by Mennonites in the Zion community. A few were engaged in the lumbering industry; one large mill was owned by a Mennonite.
Mennonites first came to this area in 1892 and held the first services in their homes. Some of the early names still found in the membership are Roth, Kropf, King, Hostetler, Lais, [[Yoder (Ioder, Joder, Jodter, Jotter, Yoeder, Yother, Yothers, Yotter)|Yoder]], Kenagy, Schultz, Strubhar, Burkholder, Hamilton, Nofziger, Rogie. The soil is very productive and well drained, and the climate is moderate with very few freezing days in the winter and few hot days in the summer.
|Author(s)||Paul E Yoder|
Cite This Article
Yoder, Paul E. "Hubbard (Oregon, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 26 Sep 2022. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hubbard_(Oregon,_USA)&oldid=170405.
Yoder, Paul E. (1956). Hubbard (Oregon, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 26 September 2022, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hubbard_(Oregon,_USA)&oldid=170405.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 824. All rights reserved.
©1996-2022 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.