First Mennonite Church (Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA)

From GAMEO
Jump to navigation Jump to search

The Altoona Mennonite Gospel Mission in Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA was established in 1910, under the Southwestern Pennsylvania Mennonite Conference. In 1926 a meetinghouse was built at 2504 Fourth Avenue and named the First Mennonite Church. About one half of the congregation of 68 members in 1949 lived in the city. With the exception of the staff of workers, all the members were converts of the mission.

Harold Horst was the last pastor of the Altoona congregation in 1967. His predecessors included Charles H. Weyandt, Joseph M. Nissley, E. F. Hartzler, of Marshallville, Ohio; John L. Stouffer, later president of Eastern Mennonite Collage at Harrisonburg, Virginia; and Jacob Martin, of Chambersburg, Pennsylvania.

The congregation closed about 1967. It had about 40 members at that time.


Author(s) Joseph M Nissley
Samuel J. Steiner
Date Published December 2015


Cite This Article

MLA style

Nissley, Joseph M and Samuel J. Steiner. "First Mennonite Church (Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. December 2015. Web. 10 Aug 2020. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=First_Mennonite_Church_(Altoona,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=165635.

APA style

Nissley, Joseph M and Samuel J. Steiner. (December 2015). First Mennonite Church (Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 10 August 2020, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=First_Mennonite_Church_(Altoona,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=165635.




Hpbuttns.png

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 83. All rights reserved.


©1996-2020 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.