Englewood Mennonite Church (Chicago, Illinois, USA)

From GAMEO
Jump to navigation Jump to search

The Englewood Mennonite Church, Chicago, Illinois, emerged when plans for the Dan Ryan Expressway forced the closing of the Mennonite Home Mission. The congregation moved to Chicago's Englewood area on 6 October 1957. Because the expressway construction was delayed, services continued at the Union Avenue location until 1959. Although the Englewood membership was initially white, the community over time became majority African American.

The congregation closed in 2015 due to decreasing membership. In 2022, the building remained boarded up.

Bibliography

Horst, Laurence M. "Englewood Church opens in Chicago." Gospel Herald 50, no. 48 (26 November 1957): 1023.

"The last Sunday...." Gospel Herald 50, no. 47 (19 November 1957): 997.

Smith, Willard H. Mennonites in Illinois. Studies in Anabaptist and Mennonite History, 24. Scottdale, Pa.: Herald Press, 1983: 274, 430, 544.

Additional Information

Address: 832 West 68th Street, Chicago, Illinois

Phone:

Website:

Denominational Affiliations: Illinois Mennonite Conference

Mennonite Church USA

Pastoral Leaders at Englewood Mennonite Church

Name Years
of Service
Laurence M. Horst (1915-2011) 1957-1963
Wayne D. King (1931-2021) 1958
Stanlee D. Kauffman 1964-1970
Lemon R. Sowell (1918-1987) 1967-1968
Maynard Brubaker 1970
Alvin Brown 1970-1971
Clarence N. Yutzy 1971
Patrick Hunt 1971
Ambers H. Wright (1922-1979) 1971-1979
Paul Smith 1976-1977
Louis Hagans 1977-1984
Charles Snipes (1926-1993) 1981-1985
Thomas Wilson 1985-1990
Anton Mathews 1990-1994
Lay leadership? 1995-1996
Barbara "Elaine" Bryant 1997-2008?
Robert A. Spicer 2006-2014

Englewood Mennonite Church Membership

Year Members
1957 60
1960 62
1970 70
1980 53
1990 47
2000 51
2009 32

Original Mennonite Encyclopedia Article

By Harold S. Bender. Copied by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 1079. All rights reserved.

Englewood Mennonite Church, located at: 832 West 68th Street, Chicago, Illinois, was made up of a majority of the congregation formerly known as the Mennonite Home Mission, established in 1893, and from 1955 to 1957 called the Union Avenue Mennonite Church. The congregation purchased a church in Englewood where they opened services in October 1957, with a charter membership of 60 which was established in 1958, with Laurence M. Horst as pastor. The main body of the church moved to Englewood, but some of the members remained at the Union Avenue church to help administrate the continuing and growing Sunday school, under the administration of Laurence Horst.


Author(s) Samuel J Steiner
Date Published March 2024

Cite This Article

MLA style

Steiner, Samuel J. "Englewood Mennonite Church (Chicago, Illinois, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. March 2024. Web. 17 Apr 2024. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Englewood_Mennonite_Church_(Chicago,_Illinois,_USA)&oldid=178547.

APA style

Steiner, Samuel J. (March 2024). Englewood Mennonite Church (Chicago, Illinois, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 17 April 2024, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Englewood_Mennonite_Church_(Chicago,_Illinois,_USA)&oldid=178547.




©1996-2024 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.