Emmanuel Church of God in Christ Mennonite Church (Fredonia, Kansas, USA)
The Emmanuel Church of God in Christ, Mennonite congregation near Fredonia, Kansas, USA was established in 1935 and formally organized in 1936. The congregation started during the Depression and dust storm years when families from western Kansas and eastern Colorado moved to the Fredonia area in southeast Kansas, 90 miles east of Wichita. Minister Jesse H. Jantz was one of the first to arrive from Montezuma, Kansas in May 1935.
Many of the early families were virtually destitute. Out of 16 early families, only three were self-supporting. The others relied on assistance from elsewhere. Many farms were available at that time, and families came and went. Gradually some families were able to purchase farms.
Initially, the families met in homes for worship. Soon after it was organized in early 1936, the congregation used the Merino School located four miles south of Fredonia. By the end of the 1930s, an acre of land was donated for a church, and a building was purchased with the help of sister congregations. It was dedicated on 27 August 1939. A new building with a full basement was constructed in 1958 and expanded in 1965, and renovated in 1973. Additional land was purchased, and a new church was built in 1993.
The Emmanuel Christian School was built in 1978 and enlarged in 1981.
In 2020 the congregation was part of the Church of God in Christ, Mennonite. The ministers were Greg Koehn, James Shultz, and Roger Jantz.
Church of God in Christ, Mennonite. Yearbook (1996-2020).
Histories of the congregations. 3rd. ed. Moundridge, Kansas: Gospel Publishers, 1999: 268-272.
Address: 7492 500 Rd., Fredonia, Kansas 66736
Ordained Pastors at the Emmanuel Church of God in Christ, Mennonite Church
|Jesse H. Jantz (1905-1975)||1935-1975|
|Samuel A. Nichols (1894-1968)||1937-1945|
|Lee Shultz (1919-1971)||1947-1971|
|Milton D. Koehn||1974-1999|
Membership at Emmanuel Church of God in Christ, Mennonite Church
Original Mennonite Encyclopedia Article
By Jesse H. Jantz. Copied by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 203. All rights reserved.
Emmanuel Church of God in Christ Mennonite Church, organized in 1936, is situated six miles south and a half-mile west of Fredonia, Wilson County, Kansas. The building in use as of 1956, with a capacity for 108 persons was purchased in 1938. Jesse H. Jantz and Lee Schultz were the ministers in 1955, with a membership of 65.
|Author(s)||Samuel J Steiner|
|Date Published||January 2021|
Cite This Article
Steiner, Samuel J. "Emmanuel Church of God in Christ Mennonite Church (Fredonia, Kansas, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. January 2021. Web. 27 Jul 2021. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Emmanuel_Church_of_God_in_Christ_Mennonite_Church_(Fredonia,_Kansas,_USA)&oldid=169752.
Steiner, Samuel J. (January 2021). Emmanuel Church of God in Christ Mennonite Church (Fredonia, Kansas, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 27 July 2021, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Emmanuel_Church_of_God_in_Christ_Mennonite_Church_(Fredonia,_Kansas,_USA)&oldid=169752.
©1996-2021 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.