Eden Mennonite Church (Burns, Kansas, USA)
The Eden Mennonite Church south of Burns, Kansas, USA was established in 1940. The congregation started when the first families moved to the area in 1938 from elsewhere in Kansas and Texas because of drought, dust storms, and the Depression. John J. Koehn of the Lone Tree congregation was the first to purchase land.
Initially, the group worshipped in a small building four miles north of Burns. Soon they moved to a community building in Burns, and in 1941 moved to the former United Brethren building in Burns. The congregation, then known as the Burns Church of God in Christ, Mennonite, later purchased the church for $400. The first local ministers were Ernest Wiggers and Jacob Yost, who moved to the vicinity in 1941.
The Mennonite arrivals continued to farm on depleted land but introduced terracing, crop rotation, and fertilizer use. Wheat and milo became cash crops, along with dairying, beef cattle, and hogs. Some supplemented income with carpentry and factory work.
In 1950 a building fund began, and plans were made to erect a church south of Burns on donated land. The church then registered as the Eden Mennonite Church and Cemetery Association. Construction began in 1952, and the new church was dedicated on 9 March 1952. Extensive remodeling took place in 1968, with further remodeling and additions in 1975 and 1994.
The Eden Christian School began in 1968 in the church basement. A three-classroom school was built in 1977; it was enlarged in 1989.
In 2020 the congregation was part of the Church of God in Christ, Mennonite. The ministers were Darwin Schmidt and Roland Koehn.
Church of God in Christ, Mennonite. Yearbook (1996-2020).
Histories of the congregations. 3rd. ed. Moundridge, Kansas: Gospel Publishers, 1999: 263-268.
Address: 14963 N.W. Boyer Road, Burns, Kansas 66840
Ordained Pastors at the Eden Mennonite Mennonite Church
|Ernest F. Wiggers (1909-1997)||1941-1949|
|Jacob N. Yost (1890-1974)||1941-1943|
|Norman M. Eicher (1915-2005)||1948-?|
|Alvin Koehn (1926-2019)||1951-2005|
|Tobe J. Koehn (1919-2008)||1959-2003|
|Lester R. Koehn (1932-1993)||1959-1975|
Membership at Eden Mennonite Church
Original Mennonite Encyclopedia Articles
By Ernest F. Wiggers. Copied by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, pp. 478-479; v. 2, p. 146. All rights reserved.
The Burns Church of God in Christ, Mennonite Church, located in Burns, Marion County, Kansas, was organized in 1938. Worship services were conducted in several places in the community until a church building was purchased. Ernest F. Wiggers was the preacher in charge in 1953. Allan Schmidt was ordained as deacon in 1945. The church membership was 161, and the Sunday-school enrollment 204 in 1953. The sewing circle was active in supporting missions, hospitals, and relief work.
The congregation sold its meetinghouse in the town of Burns in the early 1950s and built a new meetinghouse three miles (five km) south of the town, at which time it changed its name to Eden Mennonite Church. -- v. 1.
The Eden Mennonite Church (formerly Eden Church of God in Christ Mennonite Church), Burns, Kansas, was formerly known as the Burns church. The congregation sold its meetinghouse in the town of Burns in the early 1950s and built a new meetinghouse south of the town, at which time it changed its name to Eden. In 1955 the membership was 174, with Norman M. Eicher, Dennis Smith, and A. Koehn as ministers. -- v. 2
|Author(s)||Samuel J Steiner|
|Date Published||January 2021|
Cite This Article
Steiner, Samuel J. "Eden Mennonite Church (Burns, Kansas, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. January 2021. Web. 18 May 2021. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Eden_Mennonite_Church_(Burns,_Kansas,_USA)&oldid=170717.
Steiner, Samuel J. (January 2021). Eden Mennonite Church (Burns, Kansas, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 May 2021, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Eden_Mennonite_Church_(Burns,_Kansas,_USA)&oldid=170717.
©1996-2021 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.