The Doopsgezinde Jeugdraad (Dutch Mennonite Youth Council) was founded in 1946 after World War II by the Algemene Doopsgezinde Sociëteit (General Conference of Dutch Mennonites) on the initiative of C. Nijdam, at that time moderator of the ADS, for the purpose of coordinating and promoting all work for and by Mennonite youth. The council had a board composed of representatives of several youth activities. The affiliated groups are the Doopsgezinde Jongerenbond (Dutch Mennonite Youth Union), ages 18-25. Menniste Bouwers Federatie (Federation of Dutch Mennonite Builders), ages 8-18, Elfregi (Mennonite Boy Scouts), ages 8-25, and West-Hill Sunday school for ages 4-12. The Youth Council had its office in the Amsterdam Singel Church. Special attention was given to training leaders for the different branches of youth work, and to this end a periodical is published entitled Koers (Course), Leidersblad voor Doopsgezinde Jeugdwerk.
The Dutch Mennonite youth was represented by the Jeugdraad in the Ecumenical Youth Council, in the Nederlandse Jeugdgemeenschap (Dutch Youth Association), and also for the purpose of broadcasts for youth. Each year a number of meetings were held. To promote the West-Hill Sunday-schoolwork and to train its leaders an instructor was employed who visited Mennonite congregations in rotation. The Youth Council also contacted Mennonite students of the seven Dutch universities. The work of the Jeugdraad was subsidized by the ADS, in the board of which the Jeugdraad had a representative with consultative voice.
Cite This Article
Westra, H. "Doopsgezinde Jeugdraad." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 16 Jun 2019. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Doopsgezinde_Jeugdraad&oldid=119226.
Westra, H. (1956). Doopsgezinde Jeugdraad. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 16 June 2019, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Doopsgezinde_Jeugdraad&oldid=119226.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, pp. 87-88. All rights reserved.
©1996-2019 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.