Crumstown Mennonite Church (North Liberty, Indiana, USA)

From GAMEO
Jump to navigation Jump to search

In 1933, the Olive Mennonite Church launched a mission outpost in Warren Township, St. Joseph County, Indiana near Crumstown. They began services in the old Crumstown schoolhouse, that the church had purchased, on 7 May 1933. Initially, Olive members held Sunday school on Sunday afternoons, later shifting to Sunday mornings. Every two weeks, Olive held worship services at the school on Sunday evenings.

In 1947, Olive Mennonite Church turned the mission over to the Indiana-Michigan Mennonite Mission Board. The Board decided to build a meetinghouse and ordained William R. Miller as the resident minister. It dedicated the new meetinghouse on 15 August 1948.

The congregation closed in 1986.

Bibliography

Preheim, Rich. In Pursuit of Faithfulness: Conviction, Conflict, and Compromise in Indiana-Michigan Mennonite Conference. Harrisonburg, Va.: Herald Press, 2016: 308.

Wenger, John Christian. The Mennonites in Indiana and Michigan. Scottdale, Pa.: Herald Press, 1961: 224-225.

Additional Information

Address: 59825 Crums Street, North Liberty, Indiana 4655

Phone:

Website:

Denominational Affiliations: Indiana-Michigan Mennonite Conference

Mennonite Church (MC)

Pastoral Leaders at Crumstown Mennonite Church

Name Years
of Service
Olive Church leadership 1933-1947
William R. Miller (1908-2004) 1947-1978
Calvin R. Kaufman 1960-1970
Ernie Hostetler 1975-1986

Crumstown Mennonite Church Membership

Year Members
1955 50
1960 44
1970 32
1980 21
1986 22

Original Mennonite Encyclopedia Article

By Clarence A. Shank. Copied by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 743. All rights reserved.

The Crumstown Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), located southwest of South Bend, in St. Joseph County, Indiana, met at first in an abandoned schoolhouse which had been used as a church by the Methodists and was deeded to the Olive Mennonite Church in May 1933, when they started services at this place. In 1947 the work was transferred to the Indiana-Michigan Mennonite Mission Board. A new church building was completed in 1948, when the church was organized. Membership in 1954 was 52, with William Miller as pastor.


Author(s) Samuel J Steiner
Date Published May 2024

Cite This Article

MLA style

Steiner, Samuel J. "Crumstown Mennonite Church (North Liberty, Indiana, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. May 2024. Web. 13 Jul 2024. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Crumstown_Mennonite_Church_(North_Liberty,_Indiana,_USA)&oldid=178815.

APA style

Steiner, Samuel J. (May 2024). Crumstown Mennonite Church (North Liberty, Indiana, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 13 July 2024, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Crumstown_Mennonite_Church_(North_Liberty,_Indiana,_USA)&oldid=178815.




©1996-2024 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.