California Mennonite Church (Montgomery, Michigan, USA)

From GAMEO
Jump to navigation Jump to search

California Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), located in California Township, Michigan, USA 12 miles northeast of Angola, Steuben County, Indiana, was established in 1956 under the Indiana-Michigan Mennonite Conference as a mission outpost of Forks Mennonite Church in Middlebury, Indiana. The congregation met in a former Methodist church before constructing its own building in 1960. On 22 November 1959, Forks Mennonite Church voted to release the California congregation to independent ministry and on 13 March 1960 Bishop Earley C. Bontrager installed Deacon Malvin P. Miller as pastor. The small congregation included six local families and met for several years before closing in 1975.

Bibliography

Wenger, John Christian. The Mennonites in Indiana and Michigan. Scottdale: Herald Press, 1961: 250-251.

Pastoral Leaders at California Mennonite Church

Name Years
of Service
Forks Ministers 1959-1960
Malvin P. Miller (1899-1980) 1960-1967?
Visiting Ministers 1967-1970
Floyd L. Eash (1927-1987) 1970-1973
Paul Koehler 1973-1975

California Mennonite Church Membership

Year Members
1964 15
1970 21
1975 15


Author(s) Jason B Kauffman
Date Published December 2018

Cite This Article

MLA style

Kauffman, Jason B. "California Mennonite Church (Montgomery, Michigan, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. December 2018. Web. 12 Jun 2024. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=California_Mennonite_Church_(Montgomery,_Michigan,_USA)&oldid=178708.

APA style

Kauffman, Jason B. (December 2018). California Mennonite Church (Montgomery, Michigan, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 12 June 2024, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=California_Mennonite_Church_(Montgomery,_Michigan,_USA)&oldid=178708.




©1996-2024 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.