Blough Mennonite Church (Holsopple, Pennsylvania, USA)
Blough Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA) was the first Mennonite church established in Conemaugh Township, Somerset County, Pennsylvania. Located near Davidsville, it had its origin after Jacob Blough was ordained to the ministry in 1804. He was ordained bishop in 1814. The congregation was using its fourth building in the 1950s, three of them having been on the present grounds. The congregation belonged to the Southwestern Pennsylvania Conference (now Allegheny Mennonite Conference) and was the first to entertain the conference after its organization in 1876. Harry C. Blough, bishop, and John A. Lehman, minister, served this congregation of 221 members in 1953. In 2007 there were 102 members.
In 2015 the Blough Mennonite Church left the Allegheny Mennonite Conference and joined the Lancaster Mennonite Conference. This move was part of a larger realignment of Mennonite congregations formerly part of Mennonite Church USA. These congregations were unhappy with Mennonite Church USA's failure to take stronger disciplinary actions against area conferences and congregations who expressed openness to inclusion of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender persons. The Lancaster Mennonite Conference took action in 2015 to withdraw from Mennonite Church USA by the end of 2017, and became an attractive alternative for these congregations.
Address: 794 Woodstown Highway, Hollsopple, Pennsylvania
Cite This Article
Kaufman, Ammon. "Blough Mennonite Church (Holsopple, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 21 Oct 2021. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Blough_Mennonite_Church_(Holsopple,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=161049.
Kaufman, Ammon. (1953). Blough Mennonite Church (Holsopple, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 October 2021, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Blough_Mennonite_Church_(Holsopple,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=161049.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 366. All rights reserved.
©1996-2021 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.