Bethel Mennonite Church (Langdon, North Dakota, USA)
Bethel Mennonite Church, Langdon, North Dakota, USA, organized in 1897. It was sometimes called Bartel's Church after its first minister, John D. Bartel. In 1900 the congregation built a church located nine miles (15 km) west and one mile (2 km) south of Langdon.
The congregation did not meet in winter in the 1910s and 1920s, and pastors were shared with congregations at Munich and Alsen. Bethel Mennonite became more active during Edward Duerksen's ministry and formally joined the Northern District Conference of the General Conference Mennonite Church in 1932.
The Paul Dahlenberg family was the first to live in the church parsonage; the congregation purchased an old house and moved it to the church property. The church dug a shallow well the next year, but there was no electricity, no telephone, and no mail route.
In 1973, the congregation celebrated its 75th anniversary. It closed in 1975, though the building was maintained for some years.
Schmidt, Diena, ed. The Northern District Conference of the General Conference Mennonite Church 1891-1991. Freeman, S.D.: The Conference, 1991: 123-125.
Address: Langdon, North Dakota.
Denominational Affiliations: Northern District Conference
General Conference Mennonite Church
Pastoral Leaders at Bethel Mennonite Church
|John D. Bartel (1838-1904)||1897-1904|
|Henry Jacob "H. J." Brown||1907-1909|
|Isaac B. Friesen (1866-1939)?||1909-1913|
|Martin Fast (1868-1931)||1909-1917?|
|Nickolai F. "N. F." Toews (1857-1935)||1917?-1924?|
|Edward Duerksen (1892-1979)||1926-1940|
|Paul Dahlenberg (1915-2009)||1941-1945|
|George L. Hoffman (1920-2015)||1945-1954|
|Clifford E. Koehn (1927-2016)||1955-1960|
|Frank H. Ewert (1915-1996)||1960-1964|
Bethel Mennonite Church Membership
Original Mennonite Encyclopedia Article
By Melvin Gingerich and Abe M. Wiebe. Copied by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 312; v. 4, p. 1065. All rights reserved.
Bethel Mennonite Church (General Conference Mennonite Church), nine miles (15 km) west and one mile (2 km) south of Langdon, Cavalier County, North Dakota. The congregation was organized in the spring of 1897 by Elder John D. Bartel, and the church was dedicated in the fall of 1900, with Christian Kaufmann, traveling evangelist, present for the services. The membership in 1952 totaled 37, and the pastor was George Hoffman; in 1958 the membership was 49, with Clifford E. Koehn as pastor.
|Author(s)||Samuel J Steiner|
|Date Published||September 2023|
Cite This Article
Steiner, Samuel J. "Bethel Mennonite Church (Langdon, North Dakota, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. September 2023. Web. 29 Nov 2023. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Bethel_Mennonite_Church_(Langdon,_North_Dakota,_USA)&oldid=177478.
Steiner, Samuel J. (September 2023). Bethel Mennonite Church (Langdon, North Dakota, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 29 November 2023, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Bethel_Mennonite_Church_(Langdon,_North_Dakota,_USA)&oldid=177478.
©1996-2023 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.